Preserving the industrial heritage
In our new facilities, Cryogenetics will have offices, a modern R&D laboratory and a industrial-size production laboratory for cryopreservation of fish milt. Activities performed here will be the bulk of our R&D work, as well as production of cryopreserved milt for European clients. Soon this will also include cryopreservation of zebrafish sperm for European laboratories.
The factory was originally built by the Norwegian Condensed Milk Co. in 1875 for production of condensed milk. Later, the facilities were bought by the Swiss company Nestlé in 1905. The building was vacated in 2008 when Nestlé moved their production abroad. Restoration of the building started in 2012. With industrial-size doors and concrete floors, the new premises suit our activities well. The new R&D lab is located in what used to be the old sugar store!
The industrial heritage will be commemorated in the official name of the building (“Melkefabrikken” = the milk factory). Interestingly, this has a double connotation in Norwegian, and one that suits us well , namely “The Milt Factory”.
On May 23rd 2014, Cryogenetics hosted an official opening ceremony with about 60 invited guests. Among these were Cryogenetics’ owners, investors, research collaborators, new neighbors, suppliers and construction companies involved in the restoration of the building.
We are looking forward to years of exciting innovations in such an inspiring environment!